Department of Social Anthropology and Ethnic and Migration Studies
The Department employees conduct research on cultural and social diversity in the field of anthropological and sociological studies. They deal with issues of Poles’ attitudes towards the ‘other’ and ‘cultural otherness’ and ethnicity, problems of protecting the rights of persons belonging to national and ethnic minorities (including the introduction of place names in minority languages in Poland), and research into identity transformations. The Department also conducts research on various forms of migration and the assimilation and integration of migrants in Poland and other European countries. The research interests of the Department staff also include issues concerning the cultures of local communities (including the links between tradition and memory and religion), as well as visual and urban anthropology and the history of anthropology.
- Social anthropology (with reference to the history of anthropological thought, anthropology of the city, and anthropology of ethnicity)
- Sociological and anthropological research on social memory and tradition
- Sociology of ethnicity, national and ethnic minorities
- Sociology of migration and research on cultural and social diversity
- 2016-2021: “Polacy i inni” trzydzieści lat później, NCN OPUS 2016/23/B/HS6/03874 (kierownik prof. Ewa Nowicka, Collegium Civitas).
- 2013-2018: Milieux de mémoire w Europie Środowo-Wschodniej – przykład Polski, grant NCN Sonata 2013/09/D/HS6/02630 (kierownik: dr Zuzanna Bogumił, Akademia Pedagogiki Specjalnej im. Marii Grzegorzewskiej).
- 2017-2019: Interdisciplinary Research on the Function of National Histories and Collective Memories for the Democracy in the Globalized Society, Japan Society for Promotion of Science, (PI: prof. Nobuya Hashimoto, Kwansei Gakuin University). http://history-memory.kwansei.ac.jp/en/about/index.html