Nicoletta Pikramenou, PhD
2023 – Member of the research team ‘Abortion Figurations’, University of Warsaw
2022 – Visiting Scholar, Oñati International Institute for the Sociology of Law, Spain
2019 – PhD, Law Faculty of Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece, co-supervised by Uppsala University
2017 – Human Rights Fellow, European Union Delegation to the United Nations, New York
2016 – Research Fellow, European University Viadrina
2014 – MA, European Master’s Degree in Human Rights and Democratisation, European Inter-University Center for Human Rights and Democratisation
2013 – MA, Law Faculty of the University of Strasbourg
2011 – Law degree, Law Faculty of Democritus University, Thrace, Greece
2006 – Baccalaureate, Ecole Grecofrançaise des Ursulines
Human rights, women’s rights, LGBTIQ rights with a focus on intersex rights, queer law.
She works on how legal frameworks can evolve to reflect and address the needs of people who fall outside the female/male binary. She is a legal advocate for intersex rights at national, EU and UN levels (with Intersex Greece) and therefore works as well on the role of social movements and the law.
- Intersex Rights. Living between sexes, Springer, 2019, DOI 10.1007/978-3-030-27554-9.
- Queer discriminations: A guide for legal experts, Greek Academic Electronic Books and Manuals-Kallipos, funded by the National Technical University of Athens (forthcoming in Greek in 2023).
- Earth Law: Emerging Ecocentric Law- A Practicioner’s Guide, eds. Zelle, Wilson, Adam, Greene, Chapter 20 “Brazil”, Wolter Kruwer, 2020, ISBN: 9781543820683.
- Intersex masculinity and the right to self-determination (in Greek), Volume “Dimensions of Masculinity”, Papanis E., Bouna A. (eds), Idiepia, 2020, ISBN: 978-618-5471-19-4.
- Intersex athletes: invisible victims in the language of gender-based violence, Agenda Feminist Journal, Routledge, Taylor & Francis group https://doi.org/10.1080/10130950.2019.1706987, 2020
- Raising Indigenous women’s voices for equal rights and self-determination, New England Journal of Public Policy, Volume 31, Issue 2 Special Issue: ICO, Article 9, University of Massachusetts https://scholarworks.umb.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1759&context=nejpp
- Make Every African Woman Leader Count, Agenda Feminist Journal, Routledge, Taylor & Francis group, DOI: 10.1080/10130950.2019.1605835, https://doi.org/10.1080/10130950.2019.1605835, Published online: 24 May 2019.
Projects in progress
- Abortion Figurations: Using Human Rights to Change Abortion Law: Engagement Patterns and Argumentation Figures in a Global Human Rights Figuration
- 2023 – Expert on intersex rights, Council of Europe, recommendations on intersex
- 2022 – Expert on intersex rights, Greek Ministry of Health, preparatory committee for the law on IGM ban in Greece
2021 – 2022 – Researcher, Intersex Greece & ILGA Europe, hate speech against intersex people in Greece
2021 – 2022 – Consultant researcher on intersex rights in the EU, ICF for DG JUST European Commission
2021 – 2022 – Consultant researcher, Make Every Woman Count for EqualityNow and UNDP, training manual on periodic reporting on women’s rights in Africa
2021 – 2022 – Consultant researcher on intersex rights in South Asia, Westminster Foundation for Democracy
2016 – 2022 – Political Participation Monitoring Coordinator, Make Every Woman Count
2016 – 2018 – Women Speak Researcher, Women’s Earth and Climate Action Network